Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fairytales and theme AND 100 followers!!!

First off, I am so excited to finally have 100 followers!!! Woot, Woot!!!

My fourth graders are working on a mini unit about fairytales.  We read James Marshall's Cinderella first to understand the narrative elements of the story. Then we discussed theme.  This continues to be a tough concept for them. 
James Marshall's Cinderella

The next day we read The Egyptian Cinderella by Shirley Climo and discussed narrative elements and theme.  We are really trying to support our answers with text evidence, which they struggle with.  We discussed what phrases they could use to show the reader they are using text evidence which helped them to respond to another Cinderella story later in the week.
The Egyptian Cinderella
 
The following day we compared and contrasted these two versions of Cinderella, including their themes, pattern of events, and topics, a common core standard. They did pretty well with our Venn diagram activity.  I was planning on having the kids read different versions within groups and then share their Venn diagrams, but we never received the extra copies of Cinderella books from other libraries. So, plan B it was.
 
 
I love this mini unit and the kids do too, even the boys!  Next week we are looking at Little Red Riding Hood and Roald Dahl's poem as well.  I can't wait! :)
 
Oh, and our student teacher starts on Tuesday too!

2 comments:

  1. I love comparing and contrasting fairy tales. And, Amazon has books not from the villain's point of view! I love comparing and contrasting the character's point of view too!

    Congrats on 100 followers!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the different Cinderella books. I actually just got a few more in the mail today. I'm your newest follower.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete