Monday, October 29, 2012

Personalized Pumpkin Writing Activity

I sit here tonight wishing and praying for a weather closing tomorrow!!! I could really use a day off already this week and it is ONLY Monday!!

Last week my kiddos completed my yearly Personalized Pumpkin activity.  First they color their own pumpkin on the given pumpkin.  After they finish coloring (without anyone peeking), they describe their pumpkin with a great paragraph, including an interesting hook.  Not the boring old "This is how I drew my pumpkin" or "I am going to tell you about my pumpkin".  The last is my absolute pet peeve!  BORING!

Anyway, after they draw and write, I collect their pumpkins and mix them up.  The kids stand in a circle and get a pumpkin which is not their own.  They hold their writing toward them and the new pumpkin facing the group.  One kid starts and reads their writing description.  They other kids then try to see which one is the person reading.  The kids love it and so do I.  Here are some pictures from after the activity.



1 comment:

  1. This is a great writing activity! I am awarding you the Liebster Blog award. Check out my blog to find out more.

    Sarah
    Teaching Star Students

    ReplyDelete