Thursday, April 26, 2012

Test Prep Stations and CRAFT introduction

A few months ago I found a great idea for Test Prep Stations (see previous post).  Here is a pic of what I created to use in my classroom.  I let the kids pick which station they wanted to complete each day, as long as they completed each one during the week.  If their name was already in the teacher group, they had to meet with me that day.  Those groups were skill based.  My AWESOME special education teacher ran the grammar review and monitored the task cards group. :)  Love her!!!


My kids LOVED doing this each week.  It hopefully will help them transition into my start of CAFE/modified Daily 5 (actually we are doing "CRAFT" from Ladybug's Teacher Files. You should really check out her website!!!).

We did start our CRAFT lessons this week during our NYS Math testing, but didn't have our full ELA time since we were instructing during our normal Math time.  Who wants to do double math on testing days?? I sure don't!!!

So far my kids have actually been really using some of the strategies I have introduced.  My remedial kids were remembering them while they were reading "Superfudge" in their literature groups today.  It was great to see that carryover.

For next week, we will continue our ELA block reading our novel, Bunnicula.  Then I'll be introducing a grammar/writing minilesson,and then my modified Daily 5.  Because of the time constraints (only an 75 minute block of time for ELA all day!!!), I am doing one round of "Daily 5" a day.  These will include:
1.  Read to Self--working on a strategy from the CRAFT board
2.  Work on Writing--free write or writing prompts of their choice
3.  Grammar: My special education co-teacher will lead (again, LOVE her!)
4.  Work with Words: at least 2 activities (pics to come)
5.  Teacher group: guided reading, skill based, or any other mini lesson

Right now, I am using these kiddos as my guinea pigs for next year since I have to teach all fourth graders ELA.  I really wanted to incorporate the Daily 5, but weren't sure how to do in a specific/limited time frame.  I don't know how to incorporate grammar, writing, reading (novels), and spelling into Daily 5 blocks.  Any suggestions???

No comments:

Post a Comment