Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Help with choosing novels!

Next year I will be teaching ELA to all of the fourth graders.  Our elementary school is changing grades 3-6 and making them departmentalized.  By next week I need to give my principal my choices for novels for next year.  We are no longer tied to the basal series (YAYYYYYYY!!).  I'm excited, can't you tell!  So I guess I am looking for some suggestions on which novels to use for fourth graders which might be a little more difficult, since the common core is requiring more rigorous reading... any help would be great!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just stumbled across your blog through the linky party! That is amazing. I wish our school would ditch our basal series!! I'm not sure if you're into pinterest yet but there are a TON of great resources. Here's a site that I found that gives book recommendations for common core by grade level
    http://listbuilder.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StandardsBrowseView?storeId=10001

    Also, the common core website has some listed novels by grade level. Hope this helps!! If you are not into pinterest yet, you need to start. There are a ton of great teaching ideas and resources floating around there.

    Stop by my page and let me know if you need an invite!! (Sorry for the long comment :)). I'll be following you to hear about your journey ditching the basal reader..Hopefully I"ll be blogging about doing so in the near future :)

    Courtney
    Teaching in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog! How exciting to be just teaching ELA next year! A tried and true book for 4th graders is Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. I look forward to hearing about your list you put together!

    Andrea
    One Teacher's Take

    ReplyDelete